Sausage and mash; the staple meal of the obesity statistic right? Well not if you make a couple of modifications.
The real issue with this meal is the combination of poor quality, fatty meat which isn’t particularly rich in protein, and the simple carbohydrates in the mash, often combined with butter and cream.
So how can you retain the appeal of this classic without compromising on taste, and turning it into a muscle-building star?
In short; Turkey Sausages and Sweet Potato
Turkey Sausages are now widely available in ASDA, and sweet Potatoes are stocked by most big supermarkets.
- Peel a few sweet potatoes then cut them into cubes
- Chuck them in a pan of boiling water for about 20 minutes until they’re soft
- While they’re boiling, whack some Turkey Sausages in a grill pan using coconut oil to cook them
- When the potatoes are soft, drain the water then mash them
- Chuck in some salt, pepper, spring onion, and a little grated cheese if you want
- Grill some veg with the Sausages, then serve
Yeah, I kinda started eating it before I took the snap. Shit happens…